Monday, August 8, 2011

Schweinshaxe vs Thịt Heo Quay

I took the train to Frankfurt the other day to meet my old school mate Andreas. The funny thing is that we didn't actually go to school together in Germany, but in America. We met at Santa Monica College and bonded over being German, but that's another story for another day.

In any case, I met up with him and told him I wanted to get some regional food. Well, Schweinshaxe is native to Bavaria, I think, but I've always wanted to try it anyway. I didn't realize it was grilled, but what surprised me most is that it resembles the Vietnamese thịt heo quay. It's literally the same!

Here is the German Gegrillte Schweinshaxe. I'm not sure why they brought it out with the price tag, but you can tell by the way they write the numbers that it's very German! That's €11.40, by the way, not €77.40.


To compare, here's a good picture of a thịt heo quay, courtesy of The Ravenous Couple. And you can see that Italians have the same dish too!


Germans may think Vietnamese food is exotic or even strange, but I've seen more than a few instances, where we have pretty much the same exact weird dish! Tomorrow I shall post a picture of German Sülze, the Vietnamese equivalent to thịt đông as proof.

To our similarities, I'll toast to with a regional Apfelwein. Prost!


No comments:

Post a Comment